Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Hawaii: Week One

Remember last October when I put out an ad for a summer job? So...we're in Hawaii. I know most everyone acquainted with us from Lake Oswego is pretty aware of this bit of information. I've received mixed reactions from people once we went public with the news and I've spent the last six weeks debating whether I'd post anything about it on my blog. I didn't want to come off as boasting or fooling folks into thinking we're living life at the Five Seasons.

But I got to thinking about it and decided that this was our blog about our life and five-weeks in Hawaii is a pretty significant chunk of our life (maybe not so much in the sense of quantity of time but quality). I'm sure Wyatt and I will still be talking about it for the next fifty-years. At least through all those childbearing and kid-raising years. "Remember that time we went to Hawaii for five weeks, just the two of us? That was nice...". So for the next month you can expect to see pictures of our short stint in Hawaii. And then you can feel smug when we return to the mainland jobless, broke, and on the verge of being thousands of dollars in debt with astronomical dental school student loans.

For those who don't know the details of our trip: We flew to Hawaii late last Tuesday night. So as of 9pm (Hawaii time) tonight, we'll have been here for a whole week. We're living in Laie, Hawaii on the island of Oahu, on the BYU Hawaii campus in the Temple View Apartments. For all those prospecting travelers - you can sublease an apartment at TVA for super cheap! There's nothing fancy about these apartments. Just a place to sleep and as a bonus a kitchen for cooking. So there you have it, we're slumming it in Hawaii. But we're LOVING it!

We discarded the idea of working while here a while ago. We figured it wasn't worth the hassle since it was too short to make anything of it. We are, however (as of today), volunteering at the Polynesian Cultural Center a few days a week. I'm super stoked about this! I think it'll be good to do a little something productive with our time, and let's be honest, I'm hoping to score on the extra food from the luau they have each night. I heart mac salad!

Things we've done so far: beach (Temple, Hukilau, Bikini, Sunset, Shark's Cove, Waimea, and some beach northeast of Haleiwa), made several trips to Foodland, watched fireworks at Turtle Bay, hiked to Laie Falls, went to church, ate de'lish food at our ward BBQ, waited for the bus...several times, killed six cockroaches, and (I) nearly finished reading a book.

And now for your viewing pleasure, pictures:

view of Laie from Laie Falls
waiting for fireworks at Turtle Bay
sunset at Turtle Bay
fireworks at Turtle Bay
seeking shelter from the rain (notice the rainbow in the sky?)

more rainbow

to the untrained eye, it may look like giant rocks in the background...
WRONG! they're sea turtles!

the second swimsuit I made

the third swimsuit I made!

10 comments:

Bridget said...

You are in Hawaii!?!?! How crazy, random, fun is that!?! I love your swimsuits by the way. you are so stylish.

Collette said...

What a fun adventure! I think it is great.
The swimming suits are amazing. So impressed.
Have fun!

Tanya said...

I think it's awesome that you went to Turtle Bay to watch the fireworks. The two years I was in Hawaii the only fire works I saw were those that smoked out the streets. Great shot of the fireworks over the ocean.

Live it up. I'm glad you're volunteering at PCC, that'll be quite entertaining, a good way for you to get a free pass.

Jump off the Waimea rock for me! Continue to have a blast.

The Babkm5 said...

I am so so jealous!! LUCKY!! Thanks for sharing thepics though!

Liza said...

This proves that I also blog stalk. How fun that you get to be in Hawaii for 5 weeks! i say enjoy the time and just remember the haters are the ones who can't possibly get up and move to Hawaii just because.

Josette said...

uh, hello? of course you should be blogging hawaii. in fact you should blog every day. get on it! love the swimsuits...i can't believe you made so many!! how many more ya got? hope you are having a blast. live it up!!

Becky Despain said...

Your last swimsuit turned out A-MAZING! I think it's my favorite of all three! Again, I am so impressed. And I'm so glad you are having such a great time!

Dan said...

Wow, too awesome. I want to be in hawaii for 5 weeks.

Mel said...

Sounds like things are off to a great start! I am in awe of your swimsuit making skills. I am so sad that we didn't get the change to get together before you left, but that is overcome by the fact I am so happy and excited to you get to be in Hawaii! I can't wait to hear more!

Mary Ann said...

I love all your swimsuits! I am envious of you and your trip and you and your swimsuits. :) Looks like you're having a blast!