Sunday, February 22, 2009

Current Events

I thought I'd write a little something documenting what Los Wilsons have been up to the past couple weeks.

First off I had the opportunity to fly to Utah (alone) President's Day weekend to visit my brother and his family...along with my sister-in-laws. It was a great trip that consisted of nothing but relaxing. We watched movies, put two puzzles together and ate lots of yummy food! Here is a picture of my cute niece and nephew modeling one of our completed puzzles. I'm excited to see them again when they come visit in July!


Next up Wyatt and I spent the day exploring one of Portland's parks on Friday. It was merely an excuse to go out and enjoy the gorgeous weather. (As a side note, Portland has been experiencing some very unusual NICE weather this winter. I think I've see the sun more frequently then I've seen the rain. If the weather was always this nice in Portland I might be more inclined to want to plant my roots here. That is if I could avoid all the smug liberal hippies. Regardless, I've had no complaints this winter!)

When was the last time you teeter-tottered?

Notice us squinting...

Saturday we cashed in our "once a year" ski trip. We picked the perfect day to go too. Sunshine, warm weather, no wind, and hardly a crowd. We skiied until our legs turned to Jello. What a fantastic day! I love skiing and am so lucky that Wyatt not only loves to ski too but can keep up with me. Okay, that's a lie, I was chasing him the whole day. The only thing I have left to do now is write Mt. Hood Meadow's and express my disatisfaction with their redicuously high prices ($70 per ticket?!!! That's Rocky Mountain RESORT prices (which I think are equally redicuously overpriced as well)).



And finally that brings me to yesterday. Wyatt wanted to make oatmeal cookies for the people he home teaches, however, I didn't have a recipe for oatmeal cookies. We had 25 minutes until he needed to be out the door and picked the first recipe we found from my odd collection of recipe books. In hindsight it would've been better to taken the extra three seconds to do a quick google search. Half-way into the recipe (that called for four cups of flour and four cups of oatmeal (I suggested we half the recipe but Wyatt was determined)) we discovered it called for molassas. As you are probably aware, the modern-day traditional oatmeal cookie does not call for molassas. So the end result was four-dozen oatmeal cookies that neither Wyatt or I really liked. We gave two dozen away to his families, threw away another dozen and plan on using the last dozen as paper weights. The moral of the story - don't try to make oatmeal cookies in 25-minutes using a recipe that calls for molassas.

sure they look yummy...

5 comments:

Abbie said...

Sadness about the cookies. Have you made the bread recipe I sent you yet? I have a good oatmeal cookie recipe too. I want to go skiing! I'm so jealous. I haven't been since 2004. Geez I'm getting old.

kelsey said...

Why is it that making bad cookies is probably the worst thing ever? It makes me almost cry when it happens.

Jeanna said...

dang, my kids are cute! They finished that second puzzle the other day...that one was harsh! I put in a total of 10 pieces, which boils down to 1% of the entire puzzle.

As for the cookies:
1 C marg
1 C sugar
1 C brown sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 C Flour
1 t soda
3 c oatmeal.

350, 8-10 min.

They end up kinda flat, but they taste amazing. I add a little cinnamon for flava!

These aren't really a give away cookie, because they don't look all pretty, but they are fast and you'll like 'em!

The Babkm5 said...

The weather has been quite nice until lately when it started raining...darn rain. Anyway looks like you guys had fun at the park too,,,and I don't think I have been on a teeter-totter since I broke my arm on one when I was in kindergarten. Well I hope that we are still on for hanging out at our place on Friday. "it has been literally forever" -line from King of Queens

Jeff said...

You have such an exciting life Britty!