Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hawaii: Week Three





The truth of the matter is that I'm TERRIFIED of the ocean. It has nothing to do with swimming and everything to do with not being able to see what's in the water. But then, I'm just as scared when I'm snorkeling and CAN see under the water. I'm still debating in my head which is worse: not knowing something creepy is next to me under the water or knowing that I'm swimming with something creepy. Whenever Wyatt and I go snorkeling I'm practically on top of him the entire time we're in the water. He reminds me that he likes his space while he swims...

I guess my fear has slowly crept into my dreams because I dreamt that Wyatt had been eaten by a shark. In my dream he knew there was a shark in the water and deliberately got in despite my pleas and chomp, chomp he was gone. After I awoke from my dream I woke Wyatt with a punch in the arm and made him promise he would not go into the water if he knew there was a shark present. Well, yesterday we were snorkeling with a friend (who lives in Hawaii) and managed to swim FAR AWAY from the shore and into the middle of the ocean. And then my friend announces, "I've never snorkeled this far out before." I was certain my dream the night before was about to come true... so I suggested we return to the beach. And then I swam my little legs as fast as they would carry me to land. I bet you thought I was going to say there was a shark? Nope. I was just scared is all. This is probably why I will never be a surfer. Oh and the fact that I probably wouldn't be very good at it.

We have two-weeks remaining and I am digging my heels in the dirt trying to make time slow down. I am not ready to go home. If we didn't have to return for Wyatt to start school I might consider setting up camp here for another couple months... or even years.

Thanks for all the book recommendations. Unfortunately we couldn't make it to a real bookstore and I had to settle on what I could find at WalMart and the thrift store. So I picked up 'To Kill a Mocking Bird', 'The Informant', and 'Neither Here nor There'. I am planning on picking-up 'The Help' when I get home (since I had so many recommendations for it) - or maybe my momma will send me her copy? Mom? I'm halfway through To Kill a Mocking Bird. I don't think I gave this book as much credit as it deserved while I was in high-school. I am really enjoying it and am in love with Scout (and her name) and Atticus.

Oh, and they're filming Pirates of the Caribbean FOUR just up the road. Does anyone else think it's ridiculous they're milking that series? I really liked the first one and personally feel like it went downhill from there. They're being real hush-hush about the set so I don't know if Johny Depp is within proximity. I hope so.

And now pictures:

Laie Temple at Night

cheif of the Samoan village at the PCC - note his GIANT calves!

Laie Temple during the day (closed for construction until November 21st - sad day

giant flower - little head


something we do frequently... wait for the bus

our PCC uniforms


amazing sunset!

9 comments:

Jeanna said...

I read To Kill a Mockingbird not that long ago, bought a used copy from some used bookstore. And....I get to like the very, very end of the book and OH.MY.GOSH....the final 3-4 pages are gone. I'm not entirely sure how many are missing because I STILL HAVEN'T FINISHED THE BOOK! UGH!

So, on your way back home from paradise, drop on over and lend me your copy! :)

I'm digging your uniforms. The long skirt makes you look taller in the pic! :)

Jeanna said...

Oh, and I have irrational water fears, too.

ThE RaSmUsSeN's said...

I want to cry right now. I miss hawaii SOOOOO much!! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am going to try and post a comment...hope I am successful as I haven't been in the past.

Wow! I can't believe you only have two weeks left. My summer is flying by, too, but with our 100 degree weather over and over and over for days--it's getting old for me with no AC but the open windows. But, that has prepped me for high temps AND high humidity in Pittsburgh and Orlando this last week.

How could you work clearing tables with those get-ups? Looks like the skirt would have been getting in the way, big time.

Love, Momma

PS You can read my copy of The Help. Maybe I will have a Portland layover after you get back. Check out The Rope Walk, too, by Carrie Brown. Exceptional, but because she is an "unknown" not much press. All reveiws are good and she is an outstanding word smith.

Josette said...

so fun.
my sister has ocean/lake fears too...more so than you i believe. i just try not to think about it.

i love 'to kill a mockingbird'.

Tanya said...

I hope you do decide to go back to Oregon. I would like to put you to work chauffering Me, Wolfe and Keyella around. (Or maybe I'll be kind and only request you to come pick us up from the airport?)Enjoy your last week in paradise. that went too fast and not nearly enough pictures. :) Beats brown mountains any day. (well I guess they aren't completely brown yet, thanks to the late snow.)

Collette said...

Nice uniforms! I also hate the ocean. My thing is the amount of water and not knowing how deep it is. Ugh...I don't like to think about it. anyway...what a fun adventure. oh. to kill a mockingbird is one of my all time favorite books.

The Babkm5 said...

I am right there with ya on the who being scared of the Ocean. And really afraid when snorkling, can you say "Claustrophobic!" Yep that is me. I hate the feeling of being trapped! Anyway, Hope you are having fun! Miss ya!

Vacation Vicky said...

Loved reading this tthank you