Monday, September 10, 2007

Modern Day Spinach

I had my blood tested two weeks ago. My doctor thought I might be anemic and wanted to see what my blood had to say on the matter. The test results came out negative for the whole anemic thing. They also checked my iron levels which landed in the normal range (10-200), however, I checked in on the low end at 35. So she told me to take 325mg of iron a day and they'd retest my blood in three months. It is amazing how much energy I have now - even after only two weeks! It's almost like I'm a new woman! Before the iron pills, I would black out every time I'd get up out of my seat. I'd be tired ALL the time and fall asleep each time I laid down - couch or bed. And I'd be tired after only 2 miles of running - compared to the 4 miles I used to run in Chicago. It was a frustrating situation because I'd get on average 8 hours of sleep a night and I couldn't understand how I'd still be tired. Now, I feel like I have so much energy! No more black outs, sometimes it takes me a while to fall asleep at night AND I've been able to increase my run to be more than my recent 2 miles. I just feel like a giant ball of energy! I never knew increasing the amount of iron in my diet would have such a significant change. I've thought about my situation and I can't imagine what it'd be like if my worst days were really my best. I'm thankful that I've been blessed my whole life with such good health.

1 comment:

Jeanna said...

Good girl, I am so glad you went to the doc and got that checked. So iron really is a magic pill! :) Glad you are feeling better.