Sunday, September 30, 2007

Swifts

This post is dedicated to Collette. Not because she doesn't like birds but because she reminded me of our experience with birds....

Wyatt and I had the opportunity to witness a natural phenomenon a week and a half ago. Every September since 1982 a group of Vaux Swifts make a stop in Portland during their migration south. It is a special thing to witness because they live in a very specific type of chimney that is slowly becoming extinct over time due to destruction and new construction. Yeah, I thought it was weird too that their "natural habitat" wasn't so natural as it was man made. Anyway, every evening at sundown you can watch these birds gather by the thousands and fly into this chimney. It is quite the event! Hundreds of people gather together and have picnics while they observe the birds. Though Wyatt pointed out - it might be a conspiracy. We think we're watching the birds....but what if in reality the birds came to watch us? It is a very Portland crowd and really is as much fun to watch the people as it is to watch the birds.

Below is the footage from the bird watching event. I was going to try and be artsy and find footage from the movie The Birds but couldn't find anything I wanted. It kind of does have that feel like you're going to be attacked....




I must say I was a bit disappointed with the event. I was really hoping the sky would be black with birds. And even though there were thousands of these birds - that wasn't the case.

3 comments:

Collette said...

Ok, that is strange! I'm not going to complain about a hundred on my lawn, when they could be coming by the thousands into my chimney. Thanks for the love, Britty!

Abbie said...

Hey Britty, that salsa recipe is an archived post. If you go to February, it's there. :) Enjoy! It's yummy!

Jeanna said...

Brit,

Portland is a strange place. Admit it. Okay SLC has the California Seagull as its state bird as a result of the cricket infestation of 1848, but birds in a chimney? Strange.